Saturday, June 13, 2009

Does wisdom comes with age only?

I believe not.

There are many wise and young people on this earth having great skills that can give golden-agers run for their shrewdness. These people might not have developed wisdom teeth in their jaws OR seen the world and gained all the knowledge but they can still take crucial decisions at the right time to avert the problems.

May be it's in the blood, the upbringing, the environment and other external factors that make these people different and rise later in life.

You must be thinking what happened to me and whether this guy is turning into some psychology student or a philosopher. Nothing like that.... Just chill...Actually this relates to a recent incident in the society I live in. The chairman of that society is an aged man (must be in his 70s). Due to some changes in the society's infrastructure, he had to interact with me to solve a particular problem. So, how he does it?... Not wisely at all...

He asks me (or rather orders me) to do something and comply with the changed norms. Well, I ask some questions but he doesn't listens well and go away. I try to comply with some of the changes hoping it is temporary. The change is not very comforting for me so I stop doing it after a while. Few days went by and nothing happened. Then, one fine day he comes and rudely asks me to meet his terms. I raise concerns and he gets ruder and goes away murmuring something. Reacting to his behavior, my ego jumps in and I refuse to oblige. Next day, the problem repeats and he comes along with a man asking me for an explanation.

That man was quite younger (must be in late 30s). I, with my ego, straight away refuse to listen to the old man and starts asking for the alternatives. The young man gets in explaining the problem, the reasons of change, how it helps other society folks, till what time the problem will persist, how it cannot be tackled in a different way and then provides a better alternative. Then posed a simple question. "We all know that there is a problem and you can help resolve it. Can you help resolving it in the best possible way?"

I saw a logical reason in the change. It might be lil discomforting but no comforting alternative exists either. Finally, it's for all's good (including mine). So, I shooed off my ego and decided to adjust until a concrete solution is derived. I am now fine with the change and everything works smoothly.

This incident just explains how a calm, composed person (who incidentally happens to be a PM in my company) providing all the logical information and reasons can convince and persuade others as against a pig-headed uncommunicative person who can turn a conversation into an altercation.

1 comment:

  1. Seems like some story :)
    I guess there will always b some friction bw ppl wid diff viewpoints... and wholeheartedly support ur last sentence :)
    let me know if u need hands to beat down someone :D

    ReplyDelete